Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Girls: Valentines Day Ruminations

Like most boys growing up, I found girls to be a great mystery. Although I had a sister, she was 10 years younger than I was and was cute and got lots of attention and I loved her of course, but the whole situation only made the gender more intimidating. Girls would smile at me when I passed them as a freshman in high school, and I was speechless. My mind spun. My face flushed. Soon, I was to find it was only the beginning...Now, with 30+ years living with, of all things...a girl; and having four more--and their friends-- hang out with us for 18 to 20 years each; and doting on another four newbies (whom I worship, by the way) I've made precious little progress. Still captivated by their charm, I find myself feeling somehow inferior in their company. All that beauty and sweetness swirling around me makes me feel a little like an Ent (tree) in Lord of the Rings...rather too large, a little mossy and somewhat out-of-touch...But, as I think about it, I wouldn't want it any other way. They are all so fresh, and interesting and sometimes unpredicatable. (I wrote illogical first, but crossed it out...I've learned a few things.) It's like...well, living with magical beings, with Faries or Sprites. (Britten is cheering) You know, I'm rather lucky. Think how dull things would have been with only guys around...but...there is still a toy gun in the corner of my office...just in case...

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarita said...

You are the best large, mossy, and a little out of touch guy a daughter could want. Don't change! And I think I am a little too big to be a sprite or fairy, more like one of the giants from Ella Enchanted.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was so beautiful Chris! I started to cry! You have always been a very nice dad to your little daughters. And you have been blessed with treasures in each and every one of them from Lori on down the list...I love them all.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Britten said...

Whoo Hoo! See, I *am* cheering! You hit the nail on the head!

What beautiful sentiments, Chris! Lori and the girls are so lucky to have a man like you around, heading up the family! A dad that can express himself like that is very hard to come by these days...

And with the whole Ent thing...an Ent is a wonderful thing to be, never change!

-Britten

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home